How to get a Cyprus passport?
There are several ways to obtain a Cypriot passport, and with it all the benefits of owning Cypriot citizenship.
You can obtain a Cyprus passport in any of the following ways:
- Cyprus citizenship by birth.
If you were born in Cyprus and have one Cypriot parent, you automatically become a citizen of the country by birth. In addition, persons born abroad of at least one Cypriot parent can become citizens of the country.
2. Cyprus Citizenship by Naturalization.
A person can also become a Cypriot as a result of fulfilling certain requirements within a certain period of time. When applying for citizenship by naturalization, the following requirements are required:
- The person must be over 21 years of age.
- A person must have lived in the country for seven years (for persons with children of Cypriot origin, this period has been reduced to five).
- Individuals must have legal and permanent residence in Cyprus for one year prior to the date of application.
- The person must have a good reputation and no criminal record.
3. Cyprus citizenship by marriage.
Persons married to Cypriot citizens can obtain citizenship after several years of marriage, supported by cohabitation for several years. Individuals wishing to become citizens by marriage must first become legal residents of Cyprus.
How to apply for a Cyprus passport?
If you are over 18 years old and have no criminal record, you are eligible for a passport of the Republic of Cyprus. Individuals wishing to apply must go through a special procedure. This process primarily requires people to apply for a passport at the Consulate Office or at the Cyprus Embassy in person.
The application process is now done in person to ensure that the applicant’s biometric information, such as fingerprints and photographs, is easily collected by the consular officer.
The above is for informative purposes only. Further professional advice should be sought for each particular case. Our firm does not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage occurring by acting on the basis of this information.